2012 Lewis Year in Review
Many of you are aware that 2013 will be the 50th anniversary of C.S. Lewis’s death. I’m planning a special weekly series looking at what was happening in his life over the years (and since his death) that occurred each week. However, the purpose of today’s post is to summarize the various happens related to Lewis over the last year that I’m aware of. Feel free to mention anything I may have missed in the comment section below.
Books Released in 2012 (in alphabetical order):
- 60th Anniversary edition of Mere Christianity – This special edition of Mere Christianity contains a special forward by Douglas Gresham and interesting background information about the book’s origins.
- As One Devil to Another – While this book is not about Lewis, it is written in the same style as The Screwtape Letters and has a forward by Walter Hooper. Read a REVIEW about the book. LISTEN to an interview with the author.
- C.S. Lewis Goes to Heaven: A Reader’s Guide to The Great Divorce – Fans of Lewis’s The Great Divorce will find their reading of it greatly enhanced by this book. Read a REVIEW about the book. LISTEN to an interview with the author.
- Light: C.S. Lewis’s First and Final Short Story: Reveals research about a short story by Lewis and in-depth analyses on it. LISTEN to an interview with the author.
- On the Shoulders of Hobbits: The Road to Virtue with Tolkien and Lewis: While just about Lewis, this works draws on the Narnia stories and Tolkien’s The Hobbit to help readers become more virtuous. LISTEN to an interview with the author.
- Reflections from Plato’s Cave: Essays in Evangelical Philosophy – This is a collection of essays written by Dr. Donald T. Williams that while not just about Lewis, contains several articles related to his thoughts. LISTEN to an interview with the author.
- Socratic Digest – This is a reprint of all five volumes that first came in between 1943 and 1952. It contains various essay and summaries that include writings by C.S. Lewis.
- Surprised by Laughter: The Comical World of C.S. Lewis – Uses the four types of laughter mentioned in The Screwtape Letters to examine Lewis’s use of them in his life. LISTEN to an interview with the author.
- The Magician’s Twin: C.S. Lewis on Science, Scientism, and Society – Both a book and a video (now on YouTube) is available. The book is a collection of essays edited by John G. West who was co-editor of The C.S. Lewis Readers’ Encyclopedia.
Events in 2012:
The following are events from the last year that I had the opportunity to interview someone involved in it. The link allows you to hear the interview and provides links to the various organizations mentioned. In the coming weeks look for a post detailing the many events scheduled in 2013.
- C.S. Lewis Colloquium (Taylor University)
- C.S. Lewis Festival (Michigan)
- C.S. Lewis Society of Madison Conference (Wisconsin)
- C.S. Lewis Retreat (at Camp Allen)